Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday February 11, 2009

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work . . . Exodus 35:35.

The greatest skill I have for yesterday and today is blowing my nose! I was hit with a heavy cold suddenly Monday night; I can only hope it goes as quickly as it came. It meant a trip to the store for boxes of tissues, always having one in reach, every job a burden and generally feeling sorry for myself. There is an old saying that you should feed a cold and starve a fever. My appetite has not diminished so I guess it is a cold not a fever and I’m not really ill!

Being loath to do anything I can put off, got me thinking about the many people that surround us that have skills and attributes that smooth our way. Some folk from the mission society offer to help us when the work becomes too heavy for us to handle and loaned us the mission van to ferry our family around. My sister and her niece have provided extra transport when necessary to get around. An old friend, Christine, kindly hosted our girls and their families for eight or nine days in her 300 year old cottage. Much of what we have accomplished is a result of the kindness and abilities of those around us for which we are extremely thankful.

So for now, I am going to sink into oblivion, learn to breathe through my mouth and generally milk this cold for all it’s worth. Ann is one who has many skills to help people out and I’m counting on her for comfort and support during the next few days. But I think her perceptiveness will set some appropriate limits on any subterfuge, particularly as we have a busy time for the weekend ahead and she is in the middle of a final paper for university.

No comments: