Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday April 14, 2009

Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding. Proverbs 23:23.

Today is the day Ann had her bandages removed from her foot. For the last few days thay haven’t really been holding her back anyway, except she hasn’t been able to drive. That provides me with some of the exercise routine needed to heal together with the resting I’m supposed to do. However, Ann has taken off with the car this afternoon to run some errands. I’d say she was practically back to normal.

Just as well, my surgery is going to take a little longer. Yesterday was an expected down day following invitations to supper over the week end, and overdoing it somewhat. It is surprising that some discomfort can affect the way we think; it was a discouraging day also. One side effect of this surgery is the rattling of all the nerves around the abdomen. They are responding as they heal with an insistent demand that they be recognised by a recurrent itchy sensation. Otherwise, today has been a better day although progress is slow but normal.

Our text suggests getting discipline is a good thing. I am certainly finding out the hard way to discipline myself for healing, when there is so much else I want to be doing. But even this time aside is not without its usefulness. If nothing else, it teaches patience and these things will pass if I am prepared to wait. A nurse friend of ours reckons that healing from surgery takes six weeks. This is one truth I’m not really interested in buying, but I guess it’s not one I can dispense with either!

No comments: