Thursday, November 18, 2010

Order or Spontaneity



Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. Psalm 100:4.

Ann is away this week, and I am thankful for a break, and a week to attempt to live an orderly life and get some work done my way. Take sleeping for example. I slip into a well-made bed at night, and slide out carefully in the morning. Smooth out a few wrinkles, and presto! The bed’s made!

Ann, on the other hand, explodes out of bed in the morning, leaving a trail of bedding disaster, together with pillows, socks and heating pads, buried among the rubble. The bed needs a remake from the ground up to ensure some comfort for the next night’s sleep.

So now, as I go about my daily routine, I’m thankful to find everything as and where I left it, furniture still arranged for my schedule, and no cleaning frenzy to dislodge stuff I’m working on. Everything set for an easy, sedate, organised, quiet routine. At last, the comfortable rut I’ve been seeking my whole life!

But. . .

It’s also dull, tedious, monotonous, and boring! The light of life has become a glimmer, and I feel only half alive. I miss the quiet efficiency and hustle that Ann displays for household chores, cleaning, cooking, gardening, shopping, studying and even visiting the needy—a calm competence that seems to belie her natural spontaneity.

I recall several years ago, an unprovoked and unexpected sense of Ann as a stranger in my home. It lasted for about a week. It suddenly seemed out of place for this beautiful, vivacious, outgoing woman to stay with this hermetically inclined procrastinating old hermit. I saw Ann and myself with new eyes.

Ann, I am continually thankful to God for you. You are a gift of God’s grace and love to me, and I love you just the way you are. Hurry home and mess up my life again. I miss you!

No comments: