Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thursday December 4, 2008

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, Gal. 5:22-23.

Well. What a day. My emotions today regarding my health have run the same gamut as the upheaval over our Canadian constitutional crisis. Yesterday’s blog indicated the problem I was having getting through to the urologist's office to confirm today’s appointment. After some false starts I did eventually get through and no appointment had been set up! Kendra, his secretary indicated that he was in surgery all morning and booked all afternoon. Nor had she received the reports of my scans. She would check with him when he returned to the office at 1.00 p.m. At the same time I was watching the doors of Rideau Hall on TV with the same uncertainty to find out if the GG had agreed to prorogue parliament.

About 10 a.m. Kendra phoned to say the she had a cancellation and could I be there at 2.30 pm? She had also phoned the hospital and obtained my results. Ann was in an exam at that time, but I would be there. The doctor indicated that both the biopsy and my PSA level showed my cancer to be a medium risk and very slow moving. Further, the scans showed the cancer to be contained within the prostate. We discussed the options for surgery and radiation, with a waiting time of two months for surgery, and at least a month for an interview regarding radiation. He suggested that we make a decision before going to England so that procedures could be set up on our return in mid March.

So, like the morning at Rideau Hall, it’s all over bar the shouting! We will come to a decision regarding treatment this weekend and the urologist will arrange for things to be underway on our return. Nice neat package—at least ‘til then! Thanks again to all of you who thought and/or prayed for us. Your thoughts and prayers played an important part in assuring a manageable outcome and keeping our trip to England intact. Now, like the government and the opposition here in Canada, the next stage is strategy. But at least our decision will be infused with love, joy, peace, patience . . . . .

No comments: